Social Plug-Ins

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Jackpot!

During the past few months the stress of trying to find a job has been wearing me down.  Sure, I have my blog to keep me busy, but full-time employment and a steady paycheck would really put me at ease.  When people ask me how I have kept my sanity during this tough time, I am always quick to respond with something positive.  “Things could be worse, right?” is the phrase I’ve been using lately.  I think it lets people know that I’m aware that others are suffering more than I am.

I am an optimist who has always believed that good things come to good people, but lately I was losing faith.  It seemed as if my American dream was fading, when a lucky e-mail changed everything.  As I read this life-changing letter, the adage “It is always darkest before the dawn” came to mind.  The pain and suffering of my failed job searches were quickly becoming distant memories, as excitement overwhelmed me.  

I would never have to work again!  I would be traveling, driving a new Ferrari and living in a million dollar home. All of the positive thoughts during a very trying period in my life were finally paying off, and paying off big.  The e-mail was perfectly clear to me, I had hit the jackpot.

Dear Sir/Madam:
I am Barrister Samir Emad, an Indonesian attorney at law. A deceased client of mine, that shares the same last name as yours died as the result of a heart-related condition on March 12th 2005. His heart condition was due to
the death of all the members of his family in the tsunami disaster on the 26th December 2004 in Sumatra Indonesia. And in the record there is no known successor to this deposit of the deceased who died without a will.

My late Client has a deposit of Eighteen Million Dollars left behind.
Contact me via my private email account for more information: barrsamiremad@yahoo.com.cn

Best regards,
Samir Emad
Attorney at Law


Your eyes aren’t deceiving you.  I had just inherited eighteen million dollars from a relative in Indonesia.  That’s 18, followed by 6 zero’s baby!  Okay, I know what you’re thinking.  Would Brian have to pay taxes on this money?  Under current federal tax codes, the answer is, yes I would.  Even after taxes, I would still be getting over twelve million dollars, free and clear.  The biggest problem I was facing now, was whether that Ferrari was going to be a 458 Italia or 599 GTO. 

After a few E-mail’s, the lawyer Samir contacted me by phone. Samir was so helpful and told me he would handle everything, except telling me how to spend the money.  Okay, at this point you’re probably as concerned as I was.  Was it possible I suffered from the same heart-related condition that killed the person that left me all this money?  Wouldn’t that just be my luck?  There’s no need for anyone to worry about my health.  Although he wasn’t a doctor, Samir reassured me there was no chance I would suffer as his client did.  Surprisingly, Samir had checked my genetic history prior to contacting me, and said “you have no defects Mr. Brian.” 

I would simply have to pay a few processing fees of $39,528 and the money would be mailed to me.  As I prepared to empty the remainder of my 401K, I started to have second thoughts.  Samir had never asked for my mailing address.  Something didn’t seem right.  When Samir called again, he quickly explained he already had my address.  He had found it in the paperwork of my deceased benefactor.   He explained, telling me the address on the phone was dangerous. Criminals could be listening to our conversation and try steal the money before it got to me.  Clearly, Samir had done this before and was simply protecting my money.  The next day I was going to send Samir his processing fees and start my new life as a millionaire.

When I woke up the next morning, I felt rejuvenated.  Before I headed out to make the wire transfer to Samir, I was reading my e-mails and was stunned when I read the following:

I am Dr Samir Emad Governor Central Bank of Nigeria(CBN).  
There is counter claims on your funds presently by one Mr.Jones Tsai, who is trying to make us believe 
that you are dead and even explained that you had an agreement with him, to help you in receiving 
your part payment of $27.0Million US, kindly reconfirm 
to us, for your urgent release of the Premium immediately.
Reconfirm the above information to avoid making payment to a wrong person.
Dr Samir Emad
Governor Central Bank of Nigeria. 

There were actually two Samir Emad’s who had millions for me? I was now certain of one thing;  Sending any money to the lawyer Samir would be a terrible mistake.  Instead of wasting my time trying to get just eighteen million, I would start dealing with the doctor Samir.  I would just have to prove I wasn’t dead, and the twenty seven million would be mine.  That’s 27, with 6 zero’s baby!   I had hit Jackpot again!  I’ll let you all know when I get the money.

Brian Silveira is a restaurateur and food lover from Fort Myers, Florida.

2 comments:

Mel said...

Brian...Brian...this is so hilarious :D Don't forget us, your poor friends when you finally get your JACKPOT!!

agasaro said...

I've called my bank to let them know to expect an 8 figure $$ transfer.